Women’s History Month

Recognizing women leaders and activists.

Womens History Month

Vincent Kills Plenty, Writer

Many stories of activists, leaders, and inspiring people have been told, misconstrued and uplifted. March honors women pioneers who have helped pave the way for women’s rights and accomplishments, some are not talked about and praised as much as they should be. Their stories are heard and emphasized during Women’s History Month. 

Emma Goldman an anarchist and feminist writer, advocated for free speech, birth control, womens equality and independence. Emma Goldman and her partner Alexander Berkman were arrested and detained for their ideological beliefs. While in prison, former FBI director J. Edgar Hoover wrote that, 

“Emma Goldman and Alexander Berkman, are, beyond doubt, two of the most dangerous anarchists in this country and returning them to the community will result in undue harm.”

Jane Bolin was an excellent student who graduated from high school in her mid-teens and went on to Wellesley College, and graduated at the top of her class with a bachelor of Arts degree while facing racism and social isolation. Bolin, was the first African-American woman to graduate from Yale law school, earning her J.D. in 1931. After graduating from Yale law school, she moved to New York City and was sworn in by Mayor Fiorello La Guardia as the first African American female judge in the U.S. 

“Jane Bolin’s passion for advocacy and social justice emerged early on during her childhood,” says Garima KC.

Helen Thomas was an American reporter who was a long serving member of the White House press. She was the first woman in the White House press corps and also a pioneer of female reporting. She reported in the White House press during the administration of ten U.S. presidents. On top of writing 11 books, Thomas received numerous awards and more than 30 honorary degrees. Helen Thomas was not an abolitionist or an anarchist but a trailblazer for many women in journalism.

Rosa Parks was an American activist during the civil rights movement. In December of 1955 she refused to give up her seat on a

bus and was arrested for it. Her action would then spark a 13 month mass protest, the Montgomery Bus Boycott, that ended with the U.S. Supreme Court ruling

segregation unconstitutional. Called “The mother of the civil rights movement,” Rosa parks was inducted into the national women’s hall of fame in 1993 and four other medals and awards such as, Golden Plate Awards, Congressional Gold Medal, Spingarn Medal and the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

“When I was going up through school she was a big platform that we learned about. She was very strong with her words and her doings and didn’t let anybody kinda push her around,” ED aide Wyatt Carr said. 

Although most of these women were not talked about in the public, media, or school they are still just as important as the ones who were and their achievements and accomplishments show just that.